Laboratory Manager/Senior Biocontainment Laboratory Coordinator
Kansas State University is seeking a Laboratory Manager/Senior Biocontainment Laboratory Coordinator.
The BRI Laboratory Manager/Senior Biocontainment Laboratory Coordinator will coordinate biocontainment laboratory support services for researchers at the Kansas State University Biosecurity Research Institute (KSU BRI), a biosafety level 3 and biosafety level 3Ag biocontainment research facility. This entails coordinating activities with research personnel, BRI Biosafety Staff, Animal Suite Supervisor, and Operations personnel, and the KSU Department of Environmental Health and Safety. This position will report issues with standard equipment or procedures to the Operations and Biosafety groups for proper repair and corrective actions, and recommend changes that can improve the logistical support of the facility based on their knowledge of task and time management.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to division of work duties amongst supervisees; tracking use needs and determining when supply orders are needed in order to maintain ongoing support of research; determines schedules and coordinates directly with researchers for research area decontamination and set up activities; develop decontamination protocols and validation studies; routinely observes biocontainment activities, recognizing safety hazards and using proper procedures to mitigate risk to self and/or others, including directing others in proper procedures when necessary.
The BRI Laboratory Manager reports directly to the BRI Biosafety Officer/Responsible Official. Employee will be required to carry a cell phone or pager and respond to BRI emergencies 24/7.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- As a working supervisor, assigns division of duties, oversees work, ensures adequate training on required job duties, and conducts performance evaluations for BRI biocontainment laboratory support services program personnel, which includes 2 or more Biocontainment Lab Coordinators and 1 or more part time Student Workers.
- Directs BRI biocontainment laboratory support services program, which provides logistical support within the biocontainment area and consists of:
- Biohazardous materials waste handling (routine operation, validation, coordination of maintenance for autoclaves; validation testing and assistance with operating and troubleshooting alkaline tissue digester; validation testing for effluent decontamination system; facilitation of hazardous waste pickup with KSU EHS).
- Development of protocols for routine implementation of gas and vapor decontamination of laboratories and animal rooms.
- Coordination of HEPA filter and biosafety cabinet certification testing program.
- Management of decontamination and laundering of laboratory clothing and towels.
- Respond to and assist with containment and clean-up of biohazardous material spills. Recognize safety hazards and use proper procedures to mitigate risk to self and/or others.
- Extensive detailed regulatory required documentation and report writing for all of the above.
- Management of biocontainment inventory supply system for the BRI, including determination of long and short term inventory needs based on research protocols, meetings with researchers and administrative staff.
- Coordination of use of BRI owned consumable and non-consumable equipment and supplies, as well as maintenance of inventories, and ensuring calibration and maintenance records for BRI owned laboratory equipment.
- Stocking of laboratories and locker rooms with laboratory clothing, personal protective equipment and basic supplies. Purchasing duties including ordering supplies and equipment.
- Point of contact for research Principal Investigators, including coordination of research space assignments with Animal Suite Supervisor and BRI Biosafety Staff with consideration for research needs, safety and security requirements (laboratory check-in/check-out program); coordinating between researchers and maintenance staff to schedule and facilitate biocontainment area repairs and annual facility validation testing and preventative maintenance. Initiates or assigns work orders using the BRI CMMS as necessary. Responsible for maintaining current research project status information in BRI Research Project Database, including a required regulatory documentation. Maintains current activity log for all research rooms as required by federal regulators.
- Respond to and assist with containment clean-up of biohazardous material spills. Recognize safety hazards and use proper procedures to mitigate risk to self and/or others.
- Contribute to biosafety related classroom and online training courses. Assist with laboratory safety inspections and follow up. Participate in annual verification testing to ensure proper containment for BSL3 and BSL3-Ag labs.
- Bachelor’s degree in biological or chemical sciences.
- Minimum of 5 years research, teaching, or diagnostic laboratory experience with emphasis in microbiology, molecular biology, genetics, public health or related field.
- Good understanding of the principles and practices used in biological and microbiological sciences.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in application of biological safety principles and practices.
- Working knowledge of the CDC/NIH Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories 5th edition.
- Working knowledge of Windows-based software, including word processing and spreadsheets.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects within the confines of time, budgets, and available personnel.
- Superior organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively and develop strong working relationships with office staff, researchers, facilities design and maintenance personnel, laboratory technical staff, external contractors, etc.
- Self-motivated with a willingness to learn and stay current in the rapidly advancing fields of biosafety and biocontainment.
- Creative problem solving skills.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to undergo and maintain a favorable background investigation and National Select Agent Registration security risk assessment, including Tier 1 Suitability Assessment. Ability to undergo and maintain a final US Government security clearance if required.
- Ability to pass a baseline physical.
- At least average agility required in order to maneuver on a daily basis between containment laboratories and support spaces and perform elevated work.
- Additional physical requirements may include carrying equipment and instrumentation (up to 50 lbs.), walking (up to 2 miles per day), standing (up to several hours); climbing and moving heavy objects (25-100 lbs.).
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment under extreme conditions of heat or cold. Protective equipment includes negative pressure respiratory protection, self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), suits, gloves, and boots.
- Ability to work in many and varied conditions, such as biohazardous spills, hazardous waste disposal, etc.
- This job has potential for safety hazard exposures and infectious disease exposure. Protective vaccines will be offered as needed.
- Master’s or other advanced degree in biological or chemical sciences.
- Seven or more years of research, teaching, or diagnostic laboratory experience with an emphasis in microbiology, molecular biology, genetics, public health or a related field and a good understanding of scientific principles and practices.
- Five or more years of experience applying working knowledge of regulatory requirements for biological materials and dealing with relevant federal, state, and local regulatory agencies (DHS, DHHS, DOD, OSHA, USDA).
- Experience working in a biocontainment facility at a biosafety level 3 or higher, preferably as a Biocontainment Laboratory Coordinator.
- Working knowledge of biocontainment decontamination methods using chlorine dioxide or vaporized hydrogen peroxide.
- Registered Biosafety Professional (RBP) or Certified Biological Safety Professional (CBSP).
- Experience managing personnel and projects, particularly with a team approach.
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Salary Range $55,000- $65,000
To Apply: Send a curriculum vita/resume, letter of interest and contact information for three professional references to:
Ms. Colleen Hackenberg
Kansas State University
Biosecurity Research Institute
1041 Pat Roberts Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-7600
Deadline for applications is September 3, 2013.
For more information, contact Colleen Hackenberg at 785/532-1333.
Kansas State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity among its employees. Successful completion of a background check is a condition of employment.