National Biosafety and Biocontainment Training Program
View the flyer (pdf)
Biosafety and Biocontainment Training for BSL-3 Laboratory Workers
Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas
September 10-14, 2012
The National Biosafety and Biocontainment Training Program and Kansas State University Biosecurity Research Institute are offering a 5 day series of courses in Biosafety and Biocontainment for BSL-3 Laboratory Workers on September 10-14, 2012. These courses are designed for biosafety professionals, researchers and laboratorians to enhance individual knowledge and meet the scientific, regulatory, biocontainment, biosafety, and engineering challenges associated with working in a biocontainment facility. Topics include:
- Introduction to microbiology essentials
- Principles of biosafety and biocontainment
- The biological risk assessment process
- Laboratory sterilization and disinfection
- Emergency planning and response
- Laboratory regulations, standards and guidelines
- Biocontainment laboratory security
- Introduction to animal biocontainment
- Packaging and Shipping Division 6.2 Hazardous Materials
- Hands on sessions using laboratory equipment
Successful completion of the courses is a prerequisite for completion of a Basic Level Certificate in Biosafety and Biocontainment, and for participation in Advanced and Comprehensive Level certificate programs.
NBBTP is authorized by IACET to offer 4.0 Continuing Education Units. To receive CEUS, participants are required to score a minimum of 70% on each post-course knowledge assessment. The course also offers Certified Industrial Hygienists the opportunity to earn Certification Maintenance Points.
We request registration by August 27, 2012, after which participants will be admitted if space is available. See registration form, schedule, instructor and curriculum information at www.nbbtp.org
- Course Tuition is $1200, or $240/day.
- Course Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m
- A block of rooms has been reserved at Holiday Inn At The Campus
1641 Anderson Avenue.ManhattanKS66502
PHONE: (785) 539-7531 FAX: (785) 539-3909
Rooms for Sunday through Thursday nights (Sept. 9-13) are available at a rate of $99.95 plus tax; for Sept 14-15 the rate is $179.95. An optional tailgate and football game (KansasStatevsNorth Texas) is in the planning stages and more information will be available soon.
- Transportation, lodging, other meals and incidental expenses are the responsibility of individual participants. Registrants will receive a confirmation including directions and information on transportation. Manhattanis 130 miles, about a two hour drive west of theKansas City,Missouriairport. TheManhattanRegionalAirportalso offers several connecting flights per day from Dallas or Chicago.